TERMS AND CONDITIONS
If you are a tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sightseeing:
You must be visiting Japan under the entry status of “Temporary visitor” according to Japan Immigration Law. When you enter Japan for sightseeing, entry personnel will stamp the passport as “Temporary visitor”. Only a person who has a passport bearing this stamp can use a JAPAN RAIL PASS. Please note that according to strict interpretation of the Japanese Immigration Law, “Temporary visitor” status differs even from other types of stays that are also for only short time periods. A Japan Rail Pass Exchange Order MUST be purchased outside Japan, prior to your trip.
If you are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who meets the following conditions.
A. Eligibility requirements that will be in effect from June 1, 2017
B. For those who meet the eligibility conditions below, you can turn in your Exchange Order to receive your JAPAN RAIL PASS in Japan by June 30, 2017
a. who has the right of permanent residence in that country.
b. who is married to a non-Japanese residing in a country other than Japan.
Note: Present the following documentation along with your Japanese passport when you purchase the Exchange Order and when you exchange it for a JAPAN RAIL PASS:
Persons meeting condition (a) must provide written proof of the following:
・ Right of permanent residence*
・ That they are living in a country other than Japan
Persons meeting condition (b) must provide written proof of the following:
・ That they are married to a foreign national
・ That they are living in a country other than Japan
・ That their spouse (a foreign national) is living outside Japan
If an applicant is unable to provide written proof that he or she meets condition (a) or (b) and the clerk is unable to verify compliance using electronic data or other means, the PASS may be denied.
* Applicants’ residence certificate (for stays of five or more years) is subject to verification. For details on required documents, please check with your authorized sales office or agent.
- For verification purpose, customers are required to provide a passport copy when purchasing JR Pass at our JTB office/stores.
- Malaysian residents travelling on a Japanese passport are not allowed to purchase JR Hokkaido, East, West or All Shikoku Rail passes.
- In the rare cases where travelers have dual passports (Japanese & Other) you must have your non Japanese passport stamped with “Temporary Visitor” otherwise issuance of JR pass will be refused.
- The Japan Rail Exchange Order is valid for three months from the date of issue. You must exchange it at a Japan Rail Exchange Office (in Japan) within these three months in order to receive your Japan Rail Pass. If you fail to make the exchange within these three months then you will not be able to receive your pass.
- To exchange date of the pass, once the pass has been obtained, can no longer be changed.
- At the time you exchange your order voucher for your Japan Rail Pass it is necessary to specify the date that you want to start using the Pass. It can be any date within one month from the date the Pass is received.
- An Exchange Order that has not been turned in for JAPAN RAIL PASS can be returned to JTB for a refund, within one year of the date of issue. In such case a handling fee and communication fee will be subtracted from the refund.
- Please click bellow official website to refer detail of JR exchange offices:
- The valid period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days beginning from the date the PASS is first used.
The JAPAN RAIL PASS is valid for the railways, buses, and ferry boats shown in below:
- All JR Group Railways-Shinkansen”bullet trains” (except any reserved or non-reserved seat on “NOZOMI” and “MIZUHO” trains) limited express trains, express trains, and rapid or local trains, and the BRT. (With some exceptions)
- JAPAN RAIL PASS holders can also use the Tokyo Monorail.
- Aoimori Railway services between Aomori and Hachinohe (but only for travel on local or rapid service trains encompassing the segments between Hachinohe and Aomori, Aomori and Noheji, and Hachinohe and Noheji. Travel is not covered if you disembark at any other station on the Aoimori Railway line other than Aomori, Noheji, and Hachinohe.)
- The IR Ishikawa Railway Line between Kanazawa and Tsubata. (However, travel must be conducted on local or limited express trains and must encompass the full segment between these two stations. Travel is not covered if you disembark at any station on the IR Ishikawa Railway line other than Kanazawa or Tsubata.)
- The Ainokaze Toyama Railway Line between Toyama and Takaoka. (However, travel must be conducted on local trains and must encompass the full segment between these two stations. Travel is not covered if you disembark at any station on the Ainokaze Toyama Railway line other than Toyama or Takaoka.)
- Local lines of JR Bus (excluding some local lines) (Pass validity for particular routes is subject to change.)(JR Bus : JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Bus Tohoku, JR Bus Kanto, JR Tokai Bus, West Japan JR Bus, Chugoku JR Bus, JR Shikoku Bus, JR Kyushu Bus)
- The PASS is not valid for travel on express bus routes operated by JR Bus.
- Only the JR-WEST Miyajima ferry is covered.
- Hydrofoil ferry service operated by JR-KYUSHU between Hakata and Pusan (Korea) is not covered.
- You cannot make seat reservation until you have exchange the Pass.
- An additional fee is required when reserving seat on Express trains and Shinkanses Bullet Trains.
- Non-reserved Ordinary class cars can be accessed freely. In order to travel in first class (green Cars) you will have to pay additional fees.
- To access the platforms, show your pass to the JR staff located at the platform gates.
- To reserve a seat, ask the JR staff at the tickets office.
- It is a personal pass. Please always carry your passport when using the Pass, station and train staff may check it.
- The starting date written on the Japan Rail Pass cannot be changed.
- The voucher can be refunded if it has never been exchanged in Japan.
- 10% of the price will be charged as a refund handling fee.
- Refund is allowed only before the Exchange Order exchange to Rail Pass and it must submit for refund within 12 months from the issuance date.
- The refund process required approximately 2 months to complete.
We’ll refund to cheque for cash and Nets payment and credit card for credit card payment.
- Neither an Exchange Order nor a Japan Rail Pass can be reissued if lost or stolen.